Help Build the Herds & Restore American Bison to Texas
Welcome all CTB™ customers to the restoration effort of more bison on more land, set forth by the American Bison Society at their conference in Tulsa during 2011, but in Texas! Each time you buy CTB™ bison, you support a bison herd and its sustained existence somewhere in Texas. The difference between bison restoration and other types of restoration of species in need of public support: is that in exchange for your support, you get a product that promotes your health, the health of the environment, the health of your family and tastes great! This is the commerce-based reality that restoring American bison to Texas contains. CTB ™ is proud to bring this fact to you, the consumer!
Texas has been a bison state, long before it was oil and cattle as a state. Texas has been known to house bison, year round, before it was settled. Look it up and you’ll see. Texas and American Bison are, and have been, partners in time!
Now, in the 21st Century, bison… are… back! In Texas! Many land owners are raising the ecological keystone species of bison in agricultural, conservation and wildlife habitat restoration ranch-models and need the support of you the consumer, in exchange for the all-natural, tasteful, lean, clean and native product of bison.
Keep it CTB™, keep it Texas! Be proud about doing your part, as consumers, by bringing them back to the landscape of this great state in a way that is quintessentially Texan,… Big!
CODE OF ETHICS
- Continually strive toward the preservation, promotion and marketing of bison and the bison industry.
- Advance the bison industry through improving our knowledge and skill, encouraging research and exchanging information and experiences.
- Keep ourselves informed on matters affecting the bison industry in our community, the state, the nation and internationally so that we may be able to contribute responsibly to public thinking on such matters.
- Pursue our professional activities with honesty and fairness while avoiding and condemning any practice that might bring discredit to our industry.
- Conduct business in a professional manner with accurate, current, and factual information so as to educate and inform.
- Abide by all laws of any jurisdiction within which they carry on activities as bison producers. This includes no use of growth hormones in bison.
- Not use antibiotics in bison on a sub-therapeutic (non-therapeutic) basis.
- Never engage in deliberate cross-breeding of bison with another species.
- Not knowingly make false statements or fail to disclose a material fact requested in connection with marketing, advertising, and packaging. This includes accurate labeling and no adulteration of product.
- Observe the Bylaws of the Association and give freely of ourselves for the advancement of its objectives.
- Provide adequate food, handling facilities and health care to ensure the well being of animals in care.
- Not use animal cloning technology in any manner for the production of bison or bison meat products.
- Not deliver any animal into the custody of a person who in the opinion of the member does not have the facilities or ability to provide for the animals’ needs.
- Give an honest description as to the age, health records and genetic background to the best of their knowledge of any animals they offer for sale.
- Take precautions as necessary to prevent the spread of parasites or disease and treat sick or injured animals immediately to avoid undue suffering and if untreatable, humanely dispatch animals as soon as possible.
- Any violation of this code by a member may be reported in full detail in writing to the Ethics Committee of the Association. If it is the opinion of the committee that a violation may have taken place, the committee will schedule a hearing to allow the member in alleged violation an opportunity to respond. If it is then the opinion of the Ethics Committee that the member did violate this code, the committee will present to the Board of Directors all details and make a recommendation to: (a) send the violating member a letter of reprimand, or (b) suspend the violating member for a period of time, or (c) expel the violating member from the Association. The recommendation will be adopted only after a majority vote by the Board of Directors. The member in alleged violation will have the right to provide testimony either in person or in writing to the Board of Directors prior to their decision.
- In the event that the member who is alleged to have violated the code is on the Ethics Committee or the Board of Directors, that member shall abstain from all meetings, discussions and votes regarding his/her alleged violation.
- In all cases of an alleged violation, all details of the violation, hearing, and recommendation of the committee and decision of the Board of a reprimand will be confidential. The only information released by the Board will be that a specified (named) member has been “suspended” or “expelled”.
Bison are different from cattle and all other domestic food-animals. The CTB™ does not subscribe to humane handling standards that are not specifically written for bison, as a unique class of livestock, with unique considerations that require attention.
CTB refuses to mislead our customers based on hype and/or standards that are written for cattle, and then imposed onto bison, for the purpose of consumer support. Therefore, we are in the process of writing standards for humane-handling, accrediting them by trade, industry and science and will unveil the first and only authored humane handling standards written as such, species- specifically for bison.
For now: the CTB™ team supplies training and mentorship on the tricks required to humanely handle this species in the absence of any protocols specifically and/or compassionately written for the species of bison.
Certified Texas Bison™ is committed to quality assurance of bison meat in the market in accordance with USDA & State inspection, as well as all-natural and humane husbandry and production standards. When you buy Certified Texas Bison ™, you can count on food-safety, taste and the fact that it is Texas-Bison because we check on it.
Consistent-quality, locally produced, and your confidence when you shop, is our mission!